Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Jordan's First Missed Day of School

Jordan was so sick this weekend. I had already decided that I would let him wake up on his own and then would ask if he would like to go to school. So that's what I did. Jordan seemed tired and said he didn't want to go to school today. I didn't push it. It's ok. For me, attendance isn't a huge deal - as long as you do you work and do your work well. (Darin and I differ on this a little bit).

Jordan seemed pretty tired in the morning, opting to lay on the couch and hang out. Then he started to play like his usual self. At lunch, I asked him "Jordan, were you still feeling sick this morning or did you just not feel like going to school today?"

His eyes went to the up and left position. He bit his lip. You could seriously see those wheels a turning upstairs. He carefully picked his words "What happens if I lie?"

I said that the most important thing was that he tells the truth. When he tells the truth, he may still get in trouble, but he will be in less trouble than if he lies. And mommies and daddies usually find out when kids lie.

He pondered again...."What happens if I lied before but tell the truth now?"

I laughed and said "The most important thing is that you tell me the truth now." my voice turning more stern, "Were you still feeling sick or did you just not feel like going to school?"

Timidly he replied, "I was just still feeling a little tired - not sick. But I feel good now. I want to go to school tomorrow. Sorry I lied before."

I gave him a hug and wasn't sure what to say. See my question to him was "Do you feel like going to school today?" So when he responded "No." He didn't really lie to me. I didn't ask him if he felt sick. But...I didn't really want to teach him that nuance just yet. He'll figure it out soon enough and I'm sure I'll be the one duped soon.

1 comment:

JKW said...

Don't worry. His Aunt Jen won't teach him any tricks until at least Jr. High :-)